Effective May 1, 2021, use of loading zones will be charged at the parking meter rates established by City Ordinance.
Loading zones are intended to provide retail businesses with areas for commercial vehicles to conduct loading and unloading activities. It is unlawful for any vehicle other than a commercial vehicle to occupy any commercial loading zone during the hours applicable to any such zones.
Prior to updating the ordinance governing loading zones, loading zone spaces were routinely abused by drivers using them for:
- Non-commercial vehicles
- Purposes other than commercial loading and unloading
- Periods much longer than the designated time
As a result, commercial vehicles attempting to load and unload were left with no choice but to double-park, leading to erratic and dangerous driving on city streets.
In order to encourage frequent vehicle turnover in loading zones making spaces available for their intended use when needed, these spaces will now be charged parking meter rates.
All payment methods are electronic. There are no physical meters at the loading zones.
- ParkMobile via app or text: Pay at each space on a per-use basis using the app or by texting “Park” to 77223.
- ParkMobile fleet parking: Register all the vehicles in your fleet to one account. Charges are billed to one credit card making payment streamlined and easy to track. You can add or remove vehicles at any time via the ParkMobile website.
- Permit: Available month-to-month for individual vehicles or fleets. Offered for the introductory price of $30 per vehicle per month.
Loading Zone parking is enforced using license plate reading technology. No electronic permit cards or hangtags are required.
576-411. Parking, stopping, standing or drifting prohibited in a loading zone or timed zone.
[Amended 2-12-2007 by Ord. No. 14-2007; 9-10-2007 by Ord. No. 68-2007; 10-22-2007 by Ord. No. 74-2007]
A. No person shall allow a vehicle to be parked, stopped or standing in the following ways:
- (1) For more than the time designated in any marked loading zone or timed zone.
- (2) Without loading activity in any marked loading zone.
B. No person shall drift a vehicle to conceal an officers chalk mark within a loading zone or a timed
C. Commercial loading zones shall be established to provide retail businesses with areas for
commercial vehicles to conduct loading and unloading activities (such as trucks that deliver or pick up beverages, food supplies, large merchandise, etc.). It shall be unlawful for any vehicle other than a commercial vehicle to occupy any commercial loading zone during the hours applicable to any such zones.
- (1) A commercial vehicle shall include all motor vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 10,000 pounds or more, that are used for the transportation of goods, wares or merchandise. Passenger vehicles having a truck license or registration shall not qualify as a commercial vehicle.
D. Use of loading zones within the parking zones identified in §576-502 shall be charged at the
parking meter rates set forth in the City Fee Schedule located in 212-144.